In coordination with the Japan-America Society of the State of Washington and the Nisei Veterans Committee, Sasakawa USA’s Japan-US Military Program (JUMP) hosted an event in Seattle, Washington, on September 9, 2018, from 10 am to 2 pm. Attendees were able to take a tour of the NVC Memorial Hall and hear from Nisei veterans, as well as help welcome guests from the Japanese Self Defense Ground Forces and Joint Base Lewis McChord.
The event honored the Nisei Veterans—second-generation Japanese-Americans who served in the segregated 100th Battalion/442nd Regimental Combat Team (RCT) and the Military Intelligence Service (MIS), during World War II. Participants included the 1st Regt of the 1st Infantry DIV JGSDF and the 1-17th Infantry BN “Buffalo’s.”
The event coincided with the annual U.S.-Japan Rising Thunder training exercises at the Yakima Training Center, and included a tour of the Nisei Veterans Committee Memorial Hall in Seattle, a luncheon, special guests and speakers, and Okinawa taiko drumming. The event includes a special introduction of the Going for Honor, Going for Broke movie.
• NVC Commander Walter Tanimoto
• Major General Willard M. Burleson III, Commanding General of the 7th Infantry Division, JBLM
• Colonel Yoshinari Machinaka
• Japan Consul General Yoichiro Yamada
• CCIE-US President James Kelly
• JUMP Director Chris Rodeman
• National Association of Japan-American Societies President Peter Kelley
• When: September 9, 2018, 10:00am-2:00pm
• Where: Nisei Veterans Committee Memorial Hall, 1212 S. King Street, Seattle, WA 98144
October 6, 2018 , 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
JUMP in Pensacola: National Naval Aviation Museum on Oct. 6, 2018
October 10, 2018 , 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
NATO States & Asian Security: From Interests to Action (YCAPS-JUMP Seminar @ Yokota)
JUMP Spotlight Series: Maintaining Cultural Ties with Sgt. Samantha Torres
JUMP Spotlight Series: Enjoy Okinawan Music with Gary Williams
Website design & development time4design.