Thank you to everyone who attended Beyond Reconciliation: Celebrate the Japan-US Alliance and Honor Nisei Veterans on Sunday, September 8, 2019, at the Nisei Veteran’s Memorial Hall. Over 200 people attended, including service members from the U.S. Army 7th Infantry Division, Illinois National Guard, and the Japanese Ground Self Defense Force.
Guest speakers included:
– Major General Xavier T. Brunson, Commander of the U.S. 7th Infantry Division
– Colonel Hideki Onogi, Commander of the Japan 25th Infantry Regiment
– Consul General Yoichiro Yamada of the Consulate-General of Japan in Seattle
– Mr. Marc Knapper, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Korea and Japan
– Mr. Peter Kelley, President of the National Association of Japan America Societies
– Mr. Dale Watanabe, Executive Director of the Japan America Society of the State of Washington
– Mr. Walt Tanimoto, Commander of the Nisei Veterans Committee
The speakers discussed the importance of the U.S.-Japan alliance and the legacy left by the Nisei Veterans before everyone enjoyed a lunch catered by Terry’s Kitchen and Hiroshi’s Catering.
After lunch, a video presentation of Sam Mitsui’s Good Things Come from Horse Manure was screened. The 11 Nisei Veterans in attendance were acknowledged: Sat Ishikawa, Mickey Hiroo, Frank Hori, Jimmie Kanaya, Frank “Shig” Tanagi, Frank Nishimura, Tosh Tokunaga, Ats Kiuchi, Frank Muramatsu, Tak Akiyama, and Ed Horikawa. The event ended with a performance by OKK Taiko and a group photo.
A very special thank you to the Nissei Veterans Committee, the Japan America Society of the State of Washington, Sasakawa USA, and the National Association of Japan America Societies for collaborating for the fourth consecutive year.
JUMP News | Jan 29, 2020
Winners of the Fifth Annual #HolidaysinJapan Photo Contest
JUMP News | Dec 09, 2019
Submit your photos to JUMP’s fifth annual #HolidaysinJapan contest
Website design & development time4design.