Date: November 18, 2021
Time: 4:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Timezone: America/New York
National War College
300 D Street
On Thursday, November 18, 2021, JUMP hosted the event, “Great Power Competition in the Indo-Pacific: Implications for U.S.-Japanese Regional Leadership.” This event was held in partnership with the Japan-America Society of Washington, DC (JASWDC), the National War College Alumni Association, the National Association of the Japan-America Societies (NAJAS), and the Embassy of Japan. Maj Gen Hiroyuki Sugai (JASDF), Defense, Air, and Space Attaché of Embassy of Japan delivered a keynote presentation, with additional remarks by Brig Gen Jeffrey Hurlbert (USAF), Commandant of the National War College; Mr. Ryan Shaffer, President of JASWDC; and Dr. Satohiro Akimoto, Chairman and President of Sasakawa USA and Director of JUMP. The following distinguished specialists presented their analyses on Chinese operations in the Indo-Pacific region, Southeast Asia’s key role in the region, and the U.S.-Japan security alliance: Ms. Bonnie Glaser, Asia Program Director of the German Marshall Fund; Dr. Jeffrey Hornung, Senior Political Scientist at RAND Corporation; Amb. David Shear, Senior Advisor at The Edwin O. Reischauer Center for East Asian Studies; and Ms. Bethany Allen-Ebrahimian, China Reporter at Axios. The discussion followed by a brief Q&A session moderated by Dr. Cynthia Watson, Acting National Defense University (NDU) Provost. Closing remarks were provided by Mr. Peter Kelley, President of NAJAS. This event gathered members of the armed services and government civilians who have served in Japan to foster a deeper understanding of the U.S.-Japan alliance.
Speakers (In order of appearance)
– Mr. Ryan Shaffer, President, Japan-America Society of Washington, DC
– Brigadier General Jeffrey Hurlbert (USAF), Commandant, National War College
– Dr. Satohiro Akimoto, Director of JUMP; Chairman and President of Sasakawa USA
– Maj Gen Hiroyuki Sugai (JASDF), Defense, Air, and Space Attaché, Embassy of Japan
– Mr. Peter Kelley, President, National Association of Japan-America Societies
– Ms. Bethany Allen-Ebrahimian, China Reporter, Axios
– Ms. Bonnie Glaser, Asia Program Director, German Marshall Fund
– Dr. Jeffrey Hornung, Senior Political Scientist, RAND Corporation
– Amb. David Shear, Senior Advisor, The Edwin O. Reischauer Center for East Asian Studies
This event was held in cooperation with the Japan-America Society of Northwest Florida, the National Association of Japan-America Societies, the Embassy of Japan in the United States, and Sasakawa USA.
Please stay tuned to our Twitter and Facebook for details on future events.
2023 The Japan U.S. Military Program (JUMP)
Custom WordPress Design, Development & Digital Marketing by time4design