North Korea poses an increasingly complex security challenge for Japan, its neighbors, and its American allies. In response, the Japanese defense posture has been evolving. Yokosuka Council on Asia-Pacific Studies and JUMP on held a seminar on January 17, 2018, on this topic by VADM Fumio Ota (JSMDF, retired). In this talk, VADM Ota explained why he believes that evolution is not fast enough and does not include all of the correct elements. He outlined his thoughts on the best policies and strategic actions for the government of Japan to initiate.
While active in the JMSDF, Vice Admiral Ota served at sea for almost ten years, including duty in command of the destroyer JDS Yugumo and twice as a destroyer division commander. Ashore, his assignments include tours as Director of the Defense Intelligence Headquarters; President of the Joint Staff College; Director J4 (Logistics), Joint Staff Office; Defense and Naval Attaché at the Embassy of Japan, Washington DC; Fellow at the National Institute for Defense Studies; Visiting fellow at the Center for International Security and Arms Control at Stanford University; and exchange instructor at the US Naval Academy.
• Program: Start the evening by anytime during the 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. reception that will feature a light meal, drinks and excellent conversation. Find seats at 6:30 p.m. for this YCAPS-JUMP Seminar.
• When: January 17, 2018, 5:30 p.m. to 8:15 p.m.
• Location: Honcho Community Center in Yokosuka. 〒238-0041 2-1, Honcho, Yokosuka-shi (Sogo Fukushi Kaikan Hall).
• Venue Access: Click here for the venue’s access map or Google map.
• VADM Fumio Ota (JSMDF, retired) spent almost ten years at sea while active in Japan’s Maritime Self-Defense Force, including duty in command of the destroyer JDS Yugumo and twice as a destroyer division commander. VADM Ota holds a PhD from Johns Hopkins University, a Masters in International Public Policy from the School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) at Johns Hopkins University, a Masters in National Resource Strategy from the US Industrial College of the Armed Forces, and a Bachelors Degree from the Japan Defense Academy in Yokosuka.
February 21, 2020 , 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
2020 JUMP Annual Dinner
February 29, 2020 , 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
JUMP Colorado Springs: February 29, 2020
March 21, 2020 , All Day
JUMP San Antonio: March 21, 2020
JUMP News | Jan 29, 2020
Winners of the Fifth Annual #HolidaysinJapan Photo Contest
JUMP News | Dec 09, 2019
Submit your photos to JUMP’s fifth annual #HolidaysinJapan contest
Website design & development time4design.